Here are basic guidelines on what to shred:
- Safely destroy personal documents such as: unused checks, unwanted credit card offers & junk mail.
- Credit card receipts and statements: Keep receipts until your monthly statement arrives; if that's correct, shred the receipts. Exceptions: Keep a receipt if you're disputing a bill or to cover a warranty or return period. Keep the statements for seven years if they contain tax-related expenses.
- Pay check stubs: Make sure the information on your paycheck stubs matches your annual W-2 when you receive it, then shred the stubs. If your employer lists vacation/sick leave carryover on your paycheck stub, keep the last one of the year. Notify your employer if the information doesn't match.
- Credit union records: At the end of each year, go through your share draft carbons or statements and only keep those related to taxes, business expenses, and housing or mortgage payments.
- Tax records: The IRS has three years to audit your return, and you have three years to file an amended return to claim a refund if you made a mistake. If you made a mistake of under-reporting your gross income by 25% or more on a return, the IRS has six years to challenge it. If you filed a fraudulent return or didn't file one at all, the IRS can catch you on it at any time. Keep a copy of all 1040 tax forms permanently.
Miscellaneous: Keep these items permanently: Updated household inventory, birth and death certificates, marriage license, divorce papers, military records, insurance claims, accident reports and claims, proof of ownership and major debt repayment, IRA contribution records, and legal correspondence
Equitable Federal Credit Union cares about protecting our members' personal information and we want to help you take a pro-active approach in the fight against identity theft. That's why we've partnered with NEOSHRED to provide all members with a FREE Shred Day!
It's easy - Simply gather your sensitive documents to shred (limit of 10 regular sized boxes).
Staff from Equitable FCU and NEOSHRED will be there to assist you in unloading your boxes and shredding your documents.
Why make it easy for thieves to get their hands on your sensitive information? Thwart dumpster divers by shredding papers containing confidential information. Protect yourself against fraud and identity theft by joining us.
Items You CAN Shred:
Items You CANNOT Shred:
Please make sure to remove: Paper Clips, Rubber Bands, Tape, Adhesive Labels, Acco Fasteners & Plastic Tabs from your items to be shredded.
Please DO NOT arrive before 9:00am for this event, as we are unable to allow a line to form in the street due to traffic rules enforced by local police. Please note that the shredding service is available on a first come, first serve basis. Once the shred truck has reached capacity, we will stop taking items for shredding. In the event the shred truck malfunctions or breaks down, the Shred Day will be canceled. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.
|Previous Post||Next Post|